Richardson Lane Watershed

Richardson Lane Watershed
Richardson Lane Watershed

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Watershed Protocol Selection

Friends of the Banister Watershed Management Plan
Watershed Management in the Piedmont

As my watershed protocol selection, I've elected to, attempt to, develop a Watershed Management Plan for the Banister River.  My education and profession has allowed me to be pretty familiar with the suggested protocols listed for this class.  In an attempt to try something new, I'm looking into the protocols of watershed planning.

I've found a nifty document by the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) that focuses on watershed management in Virginia. This document can be found at:
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/soil_and_water/documents/wshedguideb2b.pdf

My plan is to dissect this document and make it applicable to Southern Virginia Piedmont localities, specifically Pittsylvania County and the Banister River watershed.

My micro-watershed, the Richardson Lane Watershed, is in the Banister River Watershed and will provide a nice starting point for investigating any monitoring techniques, or basic data collection that may be needed.

As I progress through this process I will post interesting tid-bits on this blog.  The body of the work is in google docs.  If anyone is interested in following along, just click on this link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18vuWZ3QcOTdLTmcGgdqgbRfmRp5XSLgfkmHkmUh4664/pub

Thinking big here, but I'm hoping that this endeavor will either turn into an actual plan to be adopted by the Dan River Basin Association (DRBA) and/or the Pittsylvania County Board of Supervisors. Perhaps Friends of the Banister can be an actual subsidiary chapter to DRBA.  This will not happen in the course of this class, but perhaps through the course of my graduate program.  If a plan is not adopted, I can at least use what I've learned, and my mock management plan as a means to further my employment into the planning sector.


No comments:

Post a Comment